Please forward this error refugee boy pdf download to sharedip-10718044127. In 2007 the city had a population of 39,004. Jenin was known in ancient times as the village of “Ein-Jenin” or “Tel Jenin”. Tell Jenin, is located at the center of what is today Jenin’s business district.
The Arabicized name “Jenin” ultimately derives from this ancient name. 8th century BCE were discovered in Ain Jenin by archaeologist G. The people of Galilee were disposed to pass through their city during the annual pilgrimages to Jerusalem. There is much water, and many springs are found here, and often have I visited it.
Street scene in Jenin, 1917. There are indications that the area comprising Jenin and Nablus remained functionally autonomous under Ottoman rule and that the empire struggled to collect taxes there. Syria and Palestine in 1799, a local official from Jenin wrote a poem enumerating and calling upon local Arab leaders to resist Bonaparte, without mentioning the Sultan or the need to protect the Ottoman Empire. During the Ottoman era, Jenin was plagued by local warfare between members of the same clan. 3,000 inhabitants, with a small bazaar.
The houses are well built of stone. A spring rises east of the town and is conducted to a large masonry reservoir, near the west side, of good squared stonework, with a long stone trough. This reservoir was built by ‘And el Hady, Mudir of Acre, in the first half of the century , north of the town is the little mosque of ‘Ezz ed Din, with a good- sized dome and a minaret. Jenin had a population of 2,637, consisting of 2,307 Muslims, 7 Jews, 108 Christians, 212 Hindus and 3 Sikhs. On 25 August 1938, the day after the British Assistant District Commissioner was assassinated in his Jenin office, a large British force with explosives entered the town. After ordering the inhabitants to leave, about one quarter of the town was blown up.
Ten Days’ fighting” following the cancellation of the first cease-fire. Prior to the battle, the city’s residents fled temporarily. The Jenin refugee camp was founded in 1953 by Jordan to house displaced Palestinians who fled or were expelled during the 1948 War. A war cemetery for Iraqi soldiers and local combatants is located on the outskirts of Jenin. 31 militant attacks, totaling 124 victims, to Jenin during the same period, more than any other city in the West Bank.