Centenary traces spelman college application pdf origins to two earlier institutions. Its curriculum included courses in English, French, Greek, Latin, logic, rhetoric, ancient and modern history, mathematics, and natural, moral, and political philosophy. When the College of Louisiana lost the financial support from the state legislature in 1845, Centenary College purchased the facility and moved to Jackson.
In 1846, the college’s trustees changed the institution’s name to Centenary College of Louisiana and adopted the alumni of the two predecessor colleges. During the 1850s, enrollment reached 260, and the college constructed a large central building, which included classrooms, laboratories, literary society rooms, a library, a chapel, offices, and an auditorium with seating for over 2,000 people. Students have all gone to war. During the war, both Confederate and Union troops occupied the campus’s buildings.
Centenary reopened in the fall of 1865, though struggled financially through the remainder of the nineteenth century. In 1906, the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, accepted an offer from the Shreveport Progressive League to relocate the college. National Register of Historic Places. Enrollment and course offerings increased during the 1920s, and Centenary received accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1925. The Centenary College Choir, formed in 1941, began performing throughout the region and eventually expanded to making national as well as international tours.
In 1942, Centenary acquired a satellite campus, the former Dodd College, which served as a pre-flight training facility for air force cadets. Centenary College’s campus spans sixty-five acres and is located two miles south of downtown Shreveport. Ed Leuck Academic Arboretum, located in the heart of campus, is home to more than 300 species of plant life. Gertie Anderson, longtime trustees and benefactors of the College, the building houses the Nancy Mikell Carruth Choir Room, the Dr. Broyles Choral Room, and the Harvey and Alberta Broyles Choral Lounge.
The Anderson building also contains a soundproof practice room and atrium. 1955, after a gift was made by the late Paul M. Chairman Emeritus of the Board of Trustees, and his brother, Colonel S. Perry Brown, a life member of the Board, in honor of their parents. The Chapel was renovated and rededicated in January 2003 and hosts religious services and special events. 1956, was named in 1974 to honor Robert Jesse Bynum, New Orleans businessman and benefactor of the College. A generous grant from the Frost Foundation funded a 2006 renovation of the entire building, including the Edwin Frost Whited Room and the Centenary Alumni Hall of Fame.