Affiliated with the Tennessee Board of Regents, the university is governed by an eight-member Board of Trustees. Its athletic teams compete in the Ohio Valley Conference. Dixie Avenue in north Cookeville. The university physics bauer pdf class size is 26 students, and the student to faculty ratio is 20:1.
Fewer than one percent of all classes are taught by teaching assistants with the rest of the classes being taught by professors. The ethnic breakdown of the student population is: 81. Tennessee Tech is rooted in the University of Dixie, or Dixie College, which was chartered in 1909, and began operations in 1912. It struggled with funding and enrollment, however, and the campus was deeded to local governments.
In 1915, the state government assumed control of the campus and chartered the new school as Tennessee Polytechnic Institute. The new school included just 13 faculty members and 19 students during their 1916-17 academic year, and consisted of just 18 acres of undeveloped land with one administrative building and two student dorms. Due to the rural nature of the school, students also worked in the school garden to grow and prepare their own meals. Finally, in 1929 the first class graduated with four-year bachelors degree. Tennessee Polytechnic Institute was elevated to university status in 1965, and its name was changed to Tennessee Technological University. Financial Aid, Disabilities, Communications and Marketing, and Eagle Card offices, as well as the university bookstore, post office, and primary dining areas.
The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery and the university’s student-run radio station, WTTU, are also located here. Department of Curriculum and Instruction. Constructed in 1916 as the men’s dormitory for Tennessee Polytechnic Institute, this building was originally known simply as “West Hall”. It was later home to the university’s Biology Department, and is named for Dorr R.